Friday, September 12, 2008

Mama's Home

First of all -- I still give Jeff grief for proposing to me on 9-11. But I guess you have to take those moments as they come. I didn't even think about my getting admitted on 9-11 - even though we passed a group of people on the way to the hospital with their American flags and their signs "We'll Never Forget". Must have been the fever. Seriously. I was getting a little delirious. Ironic, though, the symbolism of the bronze statues outside my hospital.....

Regarding this kidney infection thing.... I didn't ever think I had a UTI. How is it possible to be this badly infected without previous signs? WTF. When I started getting the pains in the kidney area, I immediately started chugging water and juice and I did go into the doctor for antibiotics... but I was too far gone I guess. The fever was horrible. Tylenol wouldn't even touch it. The shaking was basically my body going into total shock. It only took a slight breeze for me to begin with the chattering and then it was all downhill from there. The shivering took over my whole body and then all of my muscles would clench up. My chest got sore and it got very difficult to breathe. I couldn't hold anything because my hands were shaking so much. It was almost like a little seizure. It was very scary - so hearing that we needed to "ride it out" was a little unnerving.

I survived the night in the hospital, but I didn't sleep real well. I was hot. I was cold. When I was cold it was because I had a fever - - and the nurses would strip me of blankets and make me put ice packs under my arms. When I was hot it was usually the Vicodin putting me into sweats - so then I was kicking my own covers off. But through all of that, I never even worried about whether or not Ryan was okay. I know that my Nana and Jeff had everything under control. Mostly I just missed Ryan - but I knew that I needed to take care of myself first.

As usual, the hospital food was horrible and I hardly ate anything while I was in there. When we were getting ready to get discharged, they ordered one last round of blood work to make sure that the white blood count had increased - but what they had found instead was that my hemoglobin levels had dropped since I was admitted (which would indicate a loss of blood - but I was not bleeding). I was originally told that I was going to be staying one more night. .....so I ate the food. Wouldn't you know it.... they decided to let me go home. Damn!

I need to drink LOTS of fluids, I will be taking two antibiotics and I have Vicodin for pain and fever. I promised that we would go back to the hospital if I ran a fever again or if I have any new symptoms.

I'm glad to be home. I hope for this all to pass in the next few days with my current medications. I just feel like my time at home is flying by. I'd just like to enjoy my days at home with Ryan while I have them.

No comments: