Friday, September 26, 2008

Look Ma! No Hands!

The last couple weeks at home with Ryan have been great! My biggest challenge has been the ability to be mobile throughout the day because Ryan has been a better napper while being held. I've attempted to let him cry to see if he would eventually cry himself to sleep, but he doesn't... and it's too heart breaking to hear him catch his breath and whimper to calm himself from all the crying he's done....only to fall back asleep while I hold him.

When you hold a baby all day long, you don't have the ability to do anything around the house but sit. Even taking a phone call has not easy. By the end of the day, my back is shot and I have done absolutely NOTHING all day long. I couldn't take it anymore - I broke down and ordered a Baby Bjorn carrier.

Hello... why didn't I get this contraption 3 weeks ago??? This carrier holds Ryan at my chest and feels comfortable to my back. For the first time, I am able to get around the house and get small things accomplished while Ryan sleeps at my chest. It's a WIN WIN situation for both of us. He gets to be close to me and I regain the use of my hands - even if just to pour myself a glass of water! (I definitely don't need another kidney infection now, do I?)

I ordered a baby sling carrier, too - - but it hasn't yet arrived. I can't wait to see if the sling is equally functional.

Not too much else has been going on. My good friend Sarena came today from Del Mar to visit with Ryan. Sarena and I have been friends for about 10 years... and amazingly she had never met Jeff until this morning. Crazy! As always, it's always great to get visitors so that I have interaction with people other than the boys in this house. Sarena treated us this morning with coffee and bagels. What a great treat!

Our kitchen cabinets will start getting delivered this weekend - but Jeff and I have decided to slow down the installation process for sake of our own sanity. With our need to get our rental property "rent ready" and then balancing the next few weeks of Jeff's class reunion, a drag race work weekend and (2) back-to-back motorcycle club work weekends (for Dylan).... it makes sense to hold off on installation until November. If nothing else, delaying the install will give me time to make decisions on sinks, faucets, knobs/handles, granite and tile.... which has not been decided in all the chaos of life since Ryan has been born. I'll cross my fingers that our kitchen will be done by Thanksgiving!!

No comments: