Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Back to Work and Homecoming

Before I begin my tale... double click on Ryan's picture. (He's started blowing bubbles!)

Monday was my first day back at work. In splitting my time between Santa Monica and Irvine offices - I opted to go into Santa Monica to be with Laurie (my partner in crime) to start my work week. My first day started off a little late - but it was my first time abiding by a schedule so I think I actually did pretty good and was only about 30 minutes behind schedule.

The night before, I stayed up until 1a preparing a detailed packet (okay ... a Newsletter) for the provider (Nina). It was one of those crazed mom letters with the detailed section on likes and dislikes, etc - but there was also a letter of consent, contact information and copies of our insurance cards, etc that I knew she'd need. By the time that I dropped off Ryan in the morning I realized how silly the packet actually was.... especially when Nina mentioned that she had a packet of her own that was necessary for her files in the event of an audit. So I just let her know that I typed everything up in case she needed it and recognized that I knew SHE knew what she was doing and got out of there! I probably wasn't there more than 5 minutes. I knew I couldn't spend a lot of time hovering over Ryan and creating a long good-bye because it would only make it harder on me.

I had to figure out the pumping "thing" when I got to work . Apparently there is a lactation room (I've re-named it the "mommy" room) in the Santa Monica office. (Who knew?) It's a private room with a massage chair a refrigerator and a radio. It's actually a great private place... I think I may escape there just for the massaging chair!!

My first day back was one of those days where everything was hectic. Nothing worked. My work station had been disconnected from internet connectivity, once I did log on - my computer password had expired and required resetting from our Detroit office. I had a ton of emails to get through, I had a conference call and I spoke with a few co-workers to get updates on projects and happenings. In between each task I had to find time to use the mommy room. Needless to say, I didn't take a lunch break - but mowed through a stale bag of Pirate Booty (left over prior to my leave) and then hit up the vending machine on my way out for a snicker bar and a coke. (Sounds gross when I think of that now).

When I arrived to pick up Ryan - he was happy and content. Nina raved about what a "happy" baby Ryan was. She is great with him -and it is very comforting knowing that Ryan is in good hands.

I was supposed to have Wednesday through Friday off this week to EASE back into my first week. I must have been delusional to think that was actually possible. Of course the Client would want a meeting this week - -so I worked from home today to help Laurie prepare a presentation for a Thursday lunch meeting. So I guess I get one day this week to EASE back into work.

On a separate note.....
Dylan asked his best friend Randi to go to Homecoming tonight. Way to spring it on me - it's in 2 weeks! (Somehow I think he did this to me last time, too)

So here's how it all transpired: Dylan got into his monkey suit and took a bunch of bananas with "Homecoming" written on them over to her house. (Kids just don't ask someone if they want to go to the dance anymore - - it's this big production now) Her mom Karin told me she was totally scared by the monkey suit - but said "yes" anyways.

Add "Get Dylan Ready For Homecoming" to our full schedule. I just hope Dylan can get a tux in time, Randi can find a dress she likes and that we can all remain as stress-free as possible.

No comments: