Monday, December 15, 2008

Next Week is Christmas??

Holy S**** - Next week is Christmas? How did that happen?

Life with a baby is busy. Especially when he is not feeling well.

Just over a week ago, we took Ryan in for a cough and he had bronchial asthma - most likely from the dust created from the kitchen construction. He was put on antibiotics and asthma medicine - we were told to keep him out of the environment (which we already were as much as possible) and that he was to be seen again in one week for follow up.


Last Friday we took him back in and all was great again. He got his 3rd round of immunizations - which caused some fussiness through Saturday. At some point Saturday everything changed. Ryan was not pooping - and more importantly, Ryan stopped eating. He was really crying - I mean REALLY crying. I felt so bad for him.

When the sitter told me today that he only took one bottle, hadn't pooped and had been unhappy all day - I knew I had to take him to his pediatric surgeon ASAP.




Coming from Santa Monica at 2:45p - on a rainy day - I knew I had a challenging commute ahead of me to be in West Covina by 5p. I called Jeff and wasn't able to get ahold of him until I was to downtown LA. Jeff left work at about 3:30 and we agreed we would keep each other posted on our commute progress. Who ever could get to Ryan first would pick him up and the other would meet up at the doctor's office. With the rain causing havok all over the 10, 60 and 605 freeways (my only freeway opportunities home) - I took sidestreets. I don't know how I did it, but I made it from work to Ryan's daycare in 1 hr 20 minutes (and I made a bathroom stop). Jeff only beat me to the Dr's office by about 10 minutes.




Ryan's little belly was so swollen from not having a bowel movement. The doctor simply dilated him to help relieve some of the pressure. Luckily this was enough to relieve the discomfort Ryan was feeling. I was a little surprised that there was nothing more to be done. We were already dilating at home. I guess it's better to let the doctor step up the dilation than assume we can do it on our own.

Ryan's MRI is next week. We'll know what his diagnosis really is - and how to treat him for good. It will be nice to relieve ourselves from "poop watch".

At home, the kitchen is still not finished. Because Ryan was not feeling so well, I didn't go out much over the weekend. I think, though, that we have decided on the tile we are going to use. But at this point I have just stopped caring about the floor. I just want to be done with the kitchen. It's been too long!



Meanwhile, I have given up on any hope to get our Christmas lights up or our Christmas decorations put out. With only 10 days to go... why bother. It's only more mess to deal with. BUT.... we did take our Christmas photo tonight - and I'm hopeful that Christmas cards may actually go out this year (we haven't sent out cards in 3 years).

Ahhh... the holidays.

Ryan is growing up so fast. He's already wearing 6 mo clothes. He's loving his activity center. He is trying so hard to hold things in his hands. I keep waiting (any day now) for him to laugh out loud. It's hard to believe how fast time has passed. I know someday I'll look back and wonder where time went - like I do with Dylan. I'm glad to have this blog to keep track of the memories.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mel ~ Ryan is so cute! I can't wait to see him again. I'm sorry to hear that he hasn't been feeling well.

You're going to have such a fun Christmas with a new baby and a new kitchen that looks beautiful.

Talk to you soon ~ Billie