Monday, January 26, 2009

CHLA - Day One

Jeff, Ryan and I checked into our hotel at about 10:30 last night. This was Ryan's second time away from home (the first was in our Motor Home). Ryan did really well. We ALL did very well. We were able to keep Ryan up later than his usual 9p bedtime and get a good last feeding into him.

As of this morning we switched to a clear liquid diet. We've been unsuccessful with Pedialyte feedings in the past, so we came well stocked with Grape, Bubble Gum, Apple and Unflavored varieties. The Unflavored did not go over so well, so we tried the Grape. It was new to Ryan, but he seemed to take a little interest in it - so we stuck with it.

We drove over to Children's and got Ryan admitted. Like the last time we went through this, there was no available bed so - we ventured out into Hollywood to kill time. (We learned our lesson last time and came prepared to explore OUTSIDE the hospital during the long wait.)

First we had had breakfast at a local Denny's restaurant. Then we decided that we would head over to a local Toyota dealership. Jeff and I have long deciding my next vehicle since my Lexus lease is ending soon. We have been holding off on placing my new vehicle order because we really needed to get "in" to the two different trim levels - but we just haven't had the time to do this. Jeff called up the General Manager (Don ...who will never forgive Jeff for a rough hit during a football game in DC. He brings that story up every time we see him...and the tale keeps getting bigger/better every time I hear it). We were given the full tour of my prospective car. It was really nice to have access to the cars side-by-side without the hard-sell. Car seat in, car seat out, seats back, seats forward. In the end, however, I am decided and look forward to my next car "the Ryanmobile".

After a nice visit with Don, we headed over to Hollywood and Highland and walked around for a couple hours. Ryan didn't need a car seat to sit in his stroller. He was sitting up like a big boy!! He really enjoyed taking in all of the sights - and particularly loved the water fountain. I think all of the action really took his mind off the fact that he wasn't eating anything.

We realized that we did not bring a camera with us this week (we only have FIVE at home). We headed over to a near-by Best Buy to pick one up - and while doing so - got the phone call from Children's that a bed was ready. It had been 5 hours.

We kept Ryan entertained for a couple hours in the center - - and by this time he was drinking the Grape Pedialyte willingly, soaking a bib with every feeding (we usually use only 2 bibs a day - I hope we brought enough bibs!). We set his crib up with the comforts of home - hanging his mobile, giving him his familiar toys and keeping him comfy with his blankets. By 7p, he had been set up with his IV, his NG and began his bowel prep.

Ryan fell asleep around 9:30p. Since this was the time I knew Ryan would most likely stay asleep for the remainder of the night, Jeff and I contemplated about who would be staying overnight (Jeff) and we made plans to get me back to the hotel. Jeff and I took the Red Line from the hospital back to our hotel (my first trip on a subway train in LA). It's much cheaper to keep the car at the hospital for overnight parking than to pay the valet at the Marriott. The subway fare is only $1.25 each way. After I was settled in the hotel, Jeff headed back to the hospital to be with Ryan for the night.

As I type this, I've already been getting updates. Ryan pulled the NG out of his nose...and they moved us into another room. I know that there will be much more going on, but I will need to save that update for tomorrow or I'll never get some rest.

Ryan is scheduled for surgery at 7:30a tomorrow. On one hand I am so scared to put him through this procedure. I hope that there are no complications (short or long term) that this angel of a child will have to endure. On the other hand, I am looking forward to having him truly healthy and being able to just enjoy him! Every day for the past 5 months we have been worried about Ryan. Somehow we've kept it all balanced with everything else in our lives.

Tomorrow is the first step towards allowing Ryan to enjoy being the wonderful baby that he is.
Thanks to everyone who has prayed for Ryan. Please keep him in your prayers.

Sorry... no pictures. I'll probably have to post them after we get home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You and Ryan are in my prayers! ~Laurie Keith

Anonymous said...

Keeping you in our prayers all day!