Sunday, January 4, 2009

2009 ... A New Year

Well, it's been a while since I've been on the blog to post any updates. We've actually stayed pretty busy.

Our newest guilty pleasure has been Facebook. We spend a lot of time on that social site. Jeff and I can get pretty wrapped up in a competitive game of Pathwords, Scramble or Sodoku. (It's amazing how fast Ryan's nap time ends once we get focused playing a game).

Jeff and I both had the time between Christmas and New Years off. Sitting here tonight, I can't believe that we have to go back to work tomorrow. It just seems like the time went by so fast. We stayed very busy during the break.

Ryan had and MRI on the 23rd. When we heard back from his doctor on the 30th, we learned that the results were not what the doctor was looking for and we re-did Ryan's MRI on the 31st.

It was heartbreaking to know that we had to have Ryan sedated again for the procedure. I know, however, that having the right diagnosis is very important - so it's best to make sure that the MRI is done properly. We should know the results on the 6th. I'm crossing my fingers that we will get some positive news.

During 5 days of the break, our kitchen floors and backslpash FINALLY got done. While we were decided on the floor, getting to a final decision on the backsplash was a nightmare. I was bringing home tile the DAY OF installation. We decided on travertine tiles with a oil-rubbed bronze insert. (Sounds so simple, doesn't it?) It really came out gorgeous (I'll post photos in a later blog). It's hard to believe it was so difficult to get to a seemingly simple layout. I have determined that design is not in my make up. After about 8 round trips to the tile store - if I never have to go to Anaheim again, that is just fine with me! I thank God that our neighbor (who owns the tile/granite store) was so lenient. We had a lot of luxuries that most consumers would never have been allowed - bringing home travertine layouts, marble flooring, sample tile boards, etc. - then returning them when we decided it was not the right stone. Anyone else would have had to live with their purchase decision. In the end, though, everything came out as I could have hoped. With exception to a few wrap-up tasks, the kitchen is complete.

During one of my trips down to Anaheim, I was able to surprise my Nana and Papa with a visit. I was only miles away from their house - - and I knew that Nana wanted to see "Sam" *(aka Ryan) so badly. I'm glad that it worked out and they were both home!

Jeff spent a lot of time over the break getting our rental property ready for the new tenants. After sitting for nearly 3 months, we are happy to have renters in our La Verne house. It's a little stressful having to carry two mortgages!

Dylan spent some time with his Grandparents (Dad, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins) in Tehachapi over the break. Although it did not snow when he was there, there was plenty of snow for the family to play in while they were there to visit. Dennis and Linda (his Grandpa and Grandma) brought Dylan home and we had some time to visit with them. We don't get to see them as often as we would like, so it was nice to spend some time with them. Dylan had a good time and enjoyed seeing family.

I had the usual fortune of getting sick over the break. I had a cold/flu that wiped me out for about 5 days of the break. I guess I'm glad that I got it over with, but I am baffled that I always get sick when I have time off!! Unfortunately I was sick on New Years Eve. Our neighbors invited us over for their annual bash - and I didn't stay more than an hour before I had to get out of there and into bed!! I was looking forward to having a great Mediterranean meal and a few drinks. I had neither. Jeff was able to stay, though. He had a couple drinks and smoked a cigar while other party-goers started smoking the hooka. He was home just after midnight. (The party ended sometime after 4a)

Jeff and Dylan went to Supercross last night. Together they will attend all 3 Anaheim shows and the show in San Diego. I'm undecided on attending San Diego. I guess (at minimum) I can go up in the Motorhome to San Diego and just not go into stadium with Ryan for the races. We'll see. Funny how decisions change once there is a baby in the mix! Suddenly sitting out in the cold to watch a motorcycle race is no longer appealing.

In just the past 2 days, Ryan has become very vocal. He lets out long sounds all day long. I try to get him to say "Mama" every day! Quite honestly, I think there is a better chance he'll say "Parker" first. (He is so intrigued with that dog!) Ryan has been staying awake longer during the day - leaving even less time for me to get anything done. He continues, though, to be such a good baby. He's so lovable. He has a gleam in his eye when he smiles that just brings out a sparkle. It's to die for! Jeff and I just melt. In other Ryan news... he's up to 17 pounds. He's doubled his birth weight. I'm getting some pretty strong arms toting that kid around!

Okay. Post complete. Jeff and I both have to be up in a few hours - - and I know he's been waiting to read what I post! The good news is that Jeff doesn't have to take Dylan to school at 6:30a... tomorrow will be Dylan's first day driving himself to school! (The bad news is that having to get Dylan to school on time was Jeff's motivation to leaving the house on time!)

No comments: