Saturday, March 21, 2009

Sadie's 2009


I didn't quite understand the Sadie's approach. As I remember it, Sadie Hawkins was the unconventional approach where girls would ask the guys to the dance, pay for dinner, dance tickets, etc. You dress up like a bunch of Farmers (overalls, plaid shirts, etc) and you go to the school for the chaperoned dance.

Like most dances I've been witness to over Dylan's high school years. The rules have changed. Asking someone to the dance is quite the ordeal. Dylan told me this year he got asked to Sadie's and showed me a picture on his phone where "Sadies ?" was spelled out, in flower petals - I think, on someones kitchen floor. He accepted. I'm thinking, "Great!" a dance I finally don't have to pay for!



Well, then the plot thickens.

The kids aren't really going to the dance (that's lame). They're going to Knott's Berry Farm. So I argued that they weren't "really" going to Sadie's - so why go through all the the drama? Then it turns out that Dylan is paying his half, the girl is paying her half.. it all just starts to fall apart in my mind from what I ever believed Sadie's to be. Not to mention, the whole farmer theme doesn't even exist anymore. The kids just buy matching T-Shirts (which I guess is better, because who want's to buy a stupid flannel shirt and overalls anyways?)




So long story short... 3 weeks pass and TODAY was the day. 4:30p. Meet at so-in-so's house for photo's and get them all on their way. I was just meeting the kids at the designated home to take some pictures. I arrived - but Dylan was not yet there. So I called him and he let's me know that his date is "Missing in Action". The group was going over to her house (I don't know her name) and was going to see if she was there. As it turns out, his date "forgot" today was Sadie's. Oh, brother. She did eventually show up.




Originally the kids weren't ever going to make an appearance at the school, but I guess they decided that they would go for pictures before heading out to Knott's. Since the park closes at 10p, I can't even imagine that they had more than just a couple hours there. It's all kind of a mess.




Oh the drama of High School. To think that such memories are the ones that we hold on to for the rest of our lives.



No comments: